Skip to main content

Ctrl+Alt+Delete

Not fat people think they know what it feels like to be fat. I have to believe they are wrong. I'm sure they can empathize, and I'm sure they have the same feelings about other aspects of their lives. Being fat, though, is a wholly unique phenomenon that only fat people can understand. Fatness is so many things, it's physical, it's emotional, it's social, it's accidental it's intentional, it's avoidable and pre-destined. The old joke "I may be fat but you're ugly. I can diet" encapsulates much of the helter skelter storm of feeling and facts of being fat. See ugly people, they can't help it. Fat people, we can...or maybe we can't, or maybe it's both.

See, it's this idea that I can fix my fatness that bothers me, because i can, and I cannot. That being fat is either a choice or a tragedy when in fact it's both. Doctor Jekyll had to drink the potion to become Hyde. I spend a lot of time in my brain and my brain knows exactly how to eliminate the fat. It has built the ray gun, it's found the power source and it even pulled the trigger. But like the Hydra and Obiwan Kenobi, when you strike it down it returns more powerful than you can possibly imagine. Self help Guru's call this Yo-Yo dieting. I call it a shit hand of cards that I've been dealt from a deck that I shuffled. Every cards a joker.

You just feel so damn weak when you struggle. This is something anyone, fat or not, can relate to. I just feel like the fish flopping around to some "Faith No More" music, gasping for breath hoping one of the hectic muscle spasms I'm using what little breath i have to force, lands me in some water so i can catch my breath and swim away to my happy fish life. What is it? It's it. What is it? It's it...duh.

I'm sitting on a beach in Mexico staring out at an ocean of beautiful people. Women and men happily frolicking in their perfect forms that nature and nurture saw fit to give them. I'm reading about scientologists and drinking a margarita, and thinking about my life and wondering what it would be like if i looked like one of them. If i wasn't terrified to get up and play beach volleyball or darts because i know if i do there will be people staring over their e-readers at me as i do. How would my life be different? I started to form an answer to that question but it got kind of sidetracked, as if i was walking on the beach and felt something beneath the sand and just began digging at it with my foot. There was something there, some piece of the puzzle buried in the Mayan sand that I didn't even know I was looking for. My mind took several days of more drinking and sun and e-reading to brush the sand away but eventually , i could make out the shape of the idea, it's basic purpose, and even some of the heiroglyphics. I'd have to consult my copy of the Rosetta stone, but I was pretty sure the buried idea obelisk said plainly: It doesn't fucking matter, this is your life.

It doesn't fucking matter, this is my life.

In all its' fatness, and dadlessness, and lesbian ex wifeyness and enforced servitude to my house...iness, my no college degree havingness, my mostly awful career trajectoryness. This is all mine, and it's the only one I have, and no amount of protein before breakfast or squat thrusts is going to undo any of that. I can't slow carb my way out of almost 40 years of my choices and the things of my life that are not of my choosing.

This is my life. I can't undo what i've done and whats been done to me. Where do i go from here? I'm happy-ish. I live a life most would find reasonably pleasant. The battles done, and I kinda won so i'll sound my victory cheer. But...where do I go from here? What I am i left with?

It seems stupid, but i couldn't answer that question until one early morning when i got up to pee, looked out my sliding glass door at the people tagging the beach chairs with their towels at sunrise and the hotel people setting up the pool bar. What am I left with, i asked myself shivering from the post early morning pee shivers, mere feet from the caribean ocean. What am I left with?

The rest of my goddam life. I can do whatever the hell i want with that. it's mine, no one else's.

That's huge. Thats a big thing to have...a life.

Weirdly enough with that the rest just kind of fell into place. Things i always knew, but didn't really "know" became vibrantly clear. Things like, eating isn't the disease it's the symptom, and, I didn't get this way because of one thing I got this way because of hundreds of things and some of them i can change and some of them I can't. Things like, I may never ever be thin and I have to find a way to be okay with that. But most importantly i realized that because there are, possibly thousands of causes creating an infinity of symptoms there can not be any single answer to all of them. Well there is one, death, and unlike ben kenobi I don't suppose i end up blue and glowing hanging out with Yoda. Really, i had to sit with that for a while The only SINGLE thing you could do to fix all your problems...is die. Thats, in some sense, what i was looking for. Thats what a lot of fat people are looking for, the one thing that cures it all. The cure is worse than the disease. I guess there is a reason why the first part of diet, is Die.

I'm a huge Malcolm Gladwell fan, I don't know why it took me so long to see this.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Casey Jones

Time is weird. Life just kind of marches on at strange intervals, bits of you that you'd like to keep get left in the dust, but the parts you don't want seem to latch onto you like train cars, trailing behind you, moving in your same direction, each successive car making you less and less responsive to changes in direction and requiring more and more fire and steam to move forward. What is time's ultimate destination? When are you experiencing and not just going toward or away from experience? How can you tell? When you filter your life through the vagueries of time it becomes a surrealist nightmare, An Andalusian Dog waiting to slice your eyeball with a straight razor. Despite all our attempts to master time we cannot. The best we can hope for is a constant revisitation of divide and not conquer, first we name seasons, then we name months, then weeks, days, hours, minutes, seconds. Some days we make special because of lunar occurences or deaths of important people. Nev

Beauty and the beast named Gary.

"Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart." ~Kahlil Gibran I'm sitting across from, quite literally, one of the most beautiful women I have ever met. She is turned toward me, her legs crossed on a fake wicker divan, a glass of chardonay grasped by her delicate fingers. The moon, almost full, floats behind her in a swirling aurora of carnival colors cast by the lights of strip mall signs and cars parking and un-parking. The breeze is gently moving her hair at the fronteirs of her face. I'm looking at her from across the top of my pinot noir, and i am quite convinced that at that moment, and not for the reasons you may think, there is no man alive more lucky than me. There is a man talking on his phone, he thinks i don't see him. He's staring at us while he talks. She's talking at the moment, i turn to glance at him, he looks away quickly. I know precisely what he's thinking. I know because the signs are unmistakeable. He has n

Virgin Birth

I was terribly excited when i was chosen to play Santa in my third grade christmas paegent. To my way of thinking Santa is the star of any third grade christmas paegent and even though i wasn't the one solving the mystery in our little play (because for some reason it required a mystery)how could i not be central? It was Santa, it was Christmas, clearly this role required someone with my gravitas, my je ne c'est quoi, my star power. I was glad the world had finally taken notice. Delivering this news to my family was something i really couldn't wait to do. My family: my mother and I. That was it. A dead father, a divorced step father had left it just the two of us, binary stars trapped in each others gravity. Occasionally, my mothers gravity being what it was, others were drawn into our orbits. When i was finally discovered, that orbit held a man who my mother was with for quite some time, he wasn't awful, but he wasn't great either. He was the first of two men w